40 Studies Readings
States of Consciousness
1.Read the following articles (Texting may be taking a Toll) and write a summary paragraph about the article and include how it could apply to your life.
Answer the following questions about each of the Psych Slim tutorials in complete sentences (Make sure you put a name on the questions)
Psych Slim Sleep
1. How much of our lives do we spend sleeping?
2. What are sleep spindles?
3. If people have vivid, realistic dreams during REM sleep, why don't they act out those dreams,perhaps injuring themselves or others?
Psych Slim Your Mind on Drugs
1. What do drugs have to do to affect our behavior?
2. What are antagonist and agonist?
3. What type of injection seemed to be more pleasurable for the rat? Did the location of the injection make a difference?
Motivation and Emotion/Psych Sim
Situation #1: You are a Theory Y shift manager for a Burger King restaurant here in Winston-Salem. Based on the description of the Theory Y management style that you have read about, what are three specific examples of applications of the management style that you could use to motivate your employees.
Situation #2: You are a Theory X manager for a factory that makes hospital equipment. The workers on your shift are involved in tasks such as welding, assembling, and packaging this equipment. What are three specific ways you would try to motivate your employees?
Situation #3: You walk into a movie theatre and see your girl/boy friend of two years hugging an attractive person of the opposite sex in the lobby of the theatre. After an initial response of anger and rage, you quickly calm down when she/he introduces the other person as her/his cousin that she/he has not seen in five years. How would each of the following theories of human emotion explain your reactions in this situation:
a) The Cannon-Bard Theory =
b) The James-Lange Theory =
c) The Two-Factor Theory =
Chapter 9 Developmental Psychology Assignments
Sensation and Perception
Internet Activities on Sensation and Perception
Explain what happens when you eat a banana. Why are there so many bitter receptors? What does Umami mean in Japanese? What are the 2 reasons we need sour perception?
2. View the following video and describe and connect six points that connect genes with pick eating. (The Science of Picky Eaters)
3. Go to this site and answer the following questions:
5. The Ear - List 10 things you learned that you did not know. Go to the hearing button below and take the challenge
6. Click on the following tutorial and submit your findings to me. Click the email button below
1. Read over the following link on Positive Reinforcement then scroll down to the bottom of the page to where it says NEXT and hit onto exercise, precede to do the following exercises. When you have reached the section that tells how you did copy and paste it into an email to me, with you name and your subject heading.
2. Do the PsychSim - Operant Conditioning and Social Learning Theory below and submit your answers at the end to my gmail
3. Are some conditioning examples with answers to help you review
Cognition and Learning
Personality Chapter 10
Read about the Big 5 and summarize in a paragraph what the Big 5 is:
Find out your emotional iq: (write a paragraph that summarizes your results)
The Big 5 (write down your results)
Career Choices (write down your answers at the end)